We’ve been ‘on the road’ for the last 24 hours or so and we’re kinda winging it so last minute decided to take the bus from Cancun to San Ignacio, a town close to the border between Belize (Belice) and Guatemala.
So the last 24hours recapped:
- Took the ferry from Isle De Mujeres to Cancun Bus Terminal.
- Bought tickets to Belize City (around $400 pesos (35ish usd). Leaves at around 1030pm
- Put bags in the baggage hold (behind the deli type store in the bus terminal) 12 pesos/hour for 2 large bags
- Took a walk to check out the cinema, got tickets to the new Bourne movie *350 pesos
- Got lunch then went for a walk around Cancun. Worth the walk just to see the city a little
- Bought some ** Imodium (Nimz wasn’t feeling well, and really we should have that stuff on hand anyway)
- Jumped on bus for Belice city. 8 hour bus ride over night
- Border crossing at Chetumal. Mexico charges $25usd to exit. Back on the bus to the Belize entry point. Very lax border. Some guy was full on swearing at the immigration officer. They still let him in.
- Back on bus to Belice. Arrive at about 630 am.
- Took a taxi to town, about 1 mile up the road. Head out the bus station and just head straight up the road. We paid $2us per person for a taxi, we knew it was a ripp off, should have walked.. not really sure why we didn’t, maybe just tired from the journey
- Town was closed (Sunday at 630am). Went to bank to get Belizan dollars. Walked back to Bus station and caught bus to San Ignacio. Around 2 to 3 hours. $7.50 Belizian. Prepare to stand for at least half an hour unless your first on the bus.
- Got to San Ignacio and walked straight up the road to Bellas hostel. $20 Belizan/night. Has kitchen and wifi. No aircon.
- Showered, went for breakfast. Got the Bellizian special. Love trying new foods.
- Went for a walk around town, just back at the hostel now trying to find the cheapest way to Barton Caves. Quotes of $40US pp.
*The conversion rate at the time of writing this is about 12 pesos to 1 usd
**Immodium is a over the counter drug for treating diarrhea. A must have.